Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Excuse me, how much did you say that would cost me?!?!

One big and EXPENSIVE responsibility of having a dog is taking them to the vet for yearly check-ups and for anything else that might happen in between. I know this blog is about pet friendly places in Georgia, but I feel that finding the right veterinarian is very important to every fellow dog lover. I used to take my pug Jack to the Banfield Animal Hospital that is located in Petsmarts, but I felt that I was being overcharged.

After doing some research and talking to other dog owners, I scheduled Jack's yearly check-up at the VCA Falcon Village Animal Hospital that is located in Lawrenceville, GA. I heard and read nothing but good things about it so I definitely had high expectations. The staff was friendly and helpful, but the the nurse assisting the doctor was exceptionally caring and loving toward Jack; I could tell she loved her job. The vet was nice and took her time to listen to my concerns and answer all of my questions, but I still feel that I was overcharged.

Here is the breakdown of my vet bill that was over $300.00:
$45 Comprehensive wellness examination (I believe this was the blood test to check all of Jack's vital organs)
$11 DA2P (Distemper, adenovirus, parainfluenza)
$8.00 Bordatella (Kennel Cough)
$18.oo rabies
$9.00 parvovirus
$8.00 Coronavirus
$25.00 heartworm test
$50.00 fecal exam
Jack also received a benadryl shot, cortisone shot for itching, and some medication for his skin irritation which probably added up to at least $30.00.

I know Jack is worth every penny to my name, but give me a break here..I am a poor college student! I need to find a good and decently priced vet for my two wonderful dogs...any suggestions? I need your help fellow Georgia dog lovers! Was I over charged or is this the standard rate for yearly check-ups?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vets have been charging more and more through the years, but when you need them, they are worth every penny. They saved my dogs lives many times. More importantly, I was lucky enough to have 2 different vets (1 in Denver and 1 in Atlanta) when the time came to make the painful decision to put my loved ones to sleep. Both vets game me the time to say goodbye and both let me stay to mourn my loss. I miss both my dogs very much.

Katie Vandegrift said...

I am sorry to hear about your two dogs Jon! Unfortunately we all will have to say goodbye to our beloved dogs one day or another, but the happiness and joy that they bring into our lives while they are with us is worth the pain of saying goodbye. Even though the vet is very expensive, at least it is going to something that we love very much!

Anonymous said...

I just left Falcon for our 13 year old Chow's annual checkup and shots. With a grooming you can try $398.00